Monday, February 13, 2012

Wedding Shenanigans

One of my closest friends in the whole entire world (ok, I have two or three close friends) is getting married this summer! I know I've mentioned this before, but it's a big deal. This weekend I had the honor of going wedding dress shopping with her.

But we should probably start with Friday night first.

So. Friday. After work C and I decided to brave the winter elements and head over to the high school to see his one of his mock trial kid's basketball games (this kid is also one that I used to make sure didn't drown when I was a lifeguard, so I felt a connection to him as well). After a bit of a rough start (as in the Gales weren't scoring), things got turned around and the Gales held on to a solid lead for the rest of the game. And that was it. They won. There really isn't anything to report about the game. Other than, when I was little my dad would take us to games and I wouldn't like it very much because the Gales coach would train his players to play in a scorching hot gym so that they had an advantage against their competition. While I'm not sure if it worked well for the visiting team, it certainly worked on me and I always felt ill (part due to the heat, part due to my consumption of peanut M&M's) and ready to go home by half time.

We ended our evening out with a slushy from Sonic.

On to the wedding stuff. Saturday morning I headed to Easton with C (who was very excited to sit at Barnes & Noble for 3 hours reading). While he occupied himself with books, magazines, and mochas, I ventured over to David's Bridal to meet up with Kristen, her mom, and a few of the bridesmaids (but not before stopping to get gas for $3.15 a gallon!).

I wasn't quite sure what to expect with Kristen shopping for her wedding dress. I initially asked her (via facebook) if she had made other appointments around Columbus. I really should have known what her response would be, "I didn't make any other appointments. I'm holding out that I'll find it at David's Bridal (mainly because I don't want to extend this process any longer than I have to)."

Within two hours she had her dress and her brides maid dresses picked out. It took some prodding to get her out of her comfort zone and into trying some different dresses on, not so much because a different style looked better, but so that she knew the one she wanted the moment she tried it one (which, despite any denying she may do, I know she knew when she put it on).

I also bounded with the grandmother of the gal next to us. We had a nice friendship going for about an hour and a half. She told me her wedding dress story, I shared mine. She found her dress in a magazine, went into the store to try it on, and bought it right away. If only the rest of us could be so lucky. I learned that her granddaughter is from central Ohio, but went to college in Wabash and stayed there after graduation to be with her now fiancé. Her wedding date is September 15th.

While my conversation with Grandma was going on the seamstress was trying to gracefully get Kristen out of a dress which had a faulty zipper.

Roughly 9 dresses later, 29 less than the average number a bride tries on, Kristen had found her dress. It will be perfect for a warm evening summer wedding in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. 15 minutes after finding her dress, the brides maids' dresses were also picked out.

We dined at BD's and reminisced about the old days. I finally had some high school gossip to share - Kristen is usually the one with the scoop. Then we walked down the way to the Icing were Kristen got her ears pierced for the third time (not third set of holes, but over where the other two were as they had closed up). Kristen held back her tears and came out victorious with a new set of ear holes which will come in handy to hang her earrings in come wedding day.

I said good bye to the gang and went to Starbucks to pick up C. We loaded up in the car and made the trek back home. 

The rest of the day was not nearly as exciting as wedding dress shopping. We napped, I made dinner and dessert, then we watched the Buckeyes lose, watched most of the Vanderbilt/Kentucky game (that "basketball court" practically gave me seizures), and made it to DQ just before they closed so that I could get a slushy.

After church on Sunday we had Valentines Day lunch at my parents house. Roast beef, lima beans, green beans, rolls, and red mashed potatoes (a V'alentine's Day tradition). C then headed to the coffee shop to get some work done while I went home to do laundry take yet another nap.

The rest of the evening was spent actually doing laundry, making chocolate chip pancakes for dinner (a favorite of C's), and folding laundry while watching the Grammys.

Speaking of the Grammy's here's my brief run down:
- When LL Cool J said he wanted to start the evening in prayer I was a bit worried he was going to pray to Whitney. He started "Dear Heavenly Father" so all was good.
- I was pulling for Adele all night and if she didn't win I was pulling for Mumford and Sons.
- I didn't not understand why, despite winning a Grammy, the Foo Fighters were only allowed to perform outside and not inside where the actual show was going on.
- Maroon 5 and Foster the People sang better than the Beach Boys (which doesn't take much considering the Beach Boy on the piano looked as though he didn't have the slightest idea where he was or what he was doing).
- Nicki Minaj was horrendous. LL Cool J should've followed that "act" up with another prayer.
- I'm not the biggest Rihanna fan, but also enjoyed her performance last night.
- Jennifer Hudson was amazing.
- If anyone knows who the last 7 guitarist were during the final song (by Sir Paul McCartney) please let me know. I could only identify Bruce Springsteen, Sir McCaryney, and the guy from the Foo Fighters.
- Adele blew everyone else out of the water. Her 6 wins. Her performance. Her "bit of snot."

No comments: