Monday, March 8, 2010

A weekend I'd rather not rewind

Disclaimer: I'm writing this post while under the influence of Rush Limbaugh's drug of choice.  So if this post makes even less sense than usual, I'm blaming it on the drugs.  If the blog actually makes more sense, then maybe I should make it a habit of writing while medicated.

This past weekend was a weekend I'd rather not rewind, but I figured for the sake of this blog sort of acting as my journal, and for the sake of my 2 followers who I am not related to, I would. 

Friday morning I took C to the airport so he could go visit his grandparents in Missouri.  Originally I couldn't go due to a work commitment but then that was canceled so I looked into flights to join them Friday night.  Those were muy, muy pricey and I just didn't feel like I should go (which sounds bad, but now makes sense).  Friday evening was typical.  I made a trip to the Y (5 days in a row! a streak which has now ended), stopped at Wal-Mart for some soup supplies for Wednesday's Lenten Supper, then picked up some Chinese.  I then proceeded to enjoy the Chinese while watching 16 and Pregnant.  Then I retired to bed around 11:30.

Now to the not so fun part of the weekend.  Early, like 2:55 am early, Saturday morning I woke up with a very sharp pain in my left lower back.  Seriously, the worst pain I had ever felt before.  I tried to walk it off, spent time curled up in the fetal position on the bathroom floor, and also tried some ibuprofen. I should also mention that our power was out (something that never happens).  I finally called C around 3:20, not sure what I thought he could do from Missouri, but being my husband I thought he should be my first call.  Then I called my mom who decided I should go to the ER.  

My dad came to pick me up while my mom got dressed and met us there.  I then spent the next few hours in FMC's exam room 14.  Once I had some morphine in my system I was feeling much better.  They drew blood and sent me to have a CAT scan (something I am sure was very expensive - wish I had invited that machine).  Since I was almost pain free, I made friends with the nurses and doctor (still a little upset one of them took my ice chips away).  Mr. Doctor said that some women who have had babies say that the kidney stone pain is worse than labor.  (Probably because you don't get a baby out of the deal).  It was at this point that I wished I was also pregnant and in labor so I could kill two birds with one stone (pun intended).  Around 6:30 (I think) my newly found kidney stone and I were discharged (along with a few pee strainers).  

(goodbye, exam room 14)

Since C was out of town I went to my parents house where they took great care of me.  I think 5 grocery store runs were made by the end of the day to make sure I had my meds, popsicles, cranberry juice, and gum (I realize that's only 4 things but I know there were a few more).  The rest of the day was the longest day ever as well as a blur.  I managed to break my throw up streak of 3.5 years (new streak - 2 days and counting) which then made me very hesitant to take any more of Rush's drug.  Seriously, after spending the morning curled in a ball in the bathroom, I do not understand why people drink (in excess) or do drugs.  Once I had some anti-nausea meds in my system I was able to take the pain meds (my new best friends) and sleep the afternoon away.  Since I have no shame, I am going to show you a pic of me once I got my system to finally accept the percocet...

(complete with Easter bunny chaser)

Sunday was a lot like Saturday only with a little less pain (again, love the meds). I managed to take a shower (I'm not holding any details back) and even "help" make lunch.  That "helping" wore me out and I was pretty much useless the rest of the day.  Once I was up from my 58th nap of the day I tried to walk out the nasty stone on the treadmill.  This didn't help, but did give me a whopping headache and again, wore me out.  My brothers picked up C from the airport for me and returned home shortly after 11 pm.  C helped me pack up my stuff and I was then discharged from the Davidson's Assisted Living Facility. 

And now we are to Monday.  I am not yet stone-less and am waiting to hear from a new doctor on whether or not I need to go see him before the stone passes.  Until then I am drinking lots and lots and lots of fluids and hopefully taking some walks later.  I've tried to think of a good name for said stone, but can't come up with anything.  I am open to suggestions.

No comments: