Friday, September 25, 2009

Weekend Rewind: St Louis in September, Part III

Sunday was our last full day in St Louis. One of the things I wanted to make sure we did while we were there was visit the Anheuser-Busch brewery and take a tour since C had never done that before. We couldn't go on Saturday because the Iron Barley wasn't open on Sunday's so we did what any good Lutherans would do and moved our brewery visit to 11:30 am Sunday morning. I'm sure Martin Luther was looking down from heaven and nodding in approval.

I'm pretty sure this was the first trip we took the entire weekend without getting lost or making a wrong turn. We made it all the way to the brewery before making a wrong turn. That was quite an accomplishment. After we arrived we toured the museum/shop. Did you know during prohibition they made ice cream, bakers yeast, pop, and breakfast drinks? I'm pretty sure they still made some beer. As large as the place is it should have been pretty easy to hide.

The tour started with a visit to the Clydesdales. We actually saw these guys at the Ohio State Fair last year, but it was neat to see them in their stables with the dalmatians. While I'm not a fan of horses, I make an exception for these guys.

I'm not kidding, this horse was being vacuumed.
Now that's service.

I was very excited to spot the dalmatian.
(pun intended)

After the Clydesdales it was off to the tour itself. We saw almost the entire process.

These guys hold roughly 1.2 million cans of beer.

On to the bottling.
Like Unwrapped in person.




Following the free tour they give each (of age) individual two free beers. C insisted I take a free beer, despite my dislike for the beverage, so I obliged. I asked for the beer that tasted the least like beer and maybe sorta fruity and got something rather light and still not tasty. Turns out its easier to order a fruity wine or cocktail than a fruity beer. Oh well, I took my sip and C took his pictures.

After the tour we headed back to the hotel, but first had to make a pit stop to purchase a long sleeve shirt for C and comfy men's wind pants for myself in preparation for the cooler weather at the game that night.

Once we made it back to the hotel, I took a quick nap while Charles caught up on all the football games. We then put on our game gear. For Charles it was shorts, newly purchased red long sleeved shirt, and a jersey. For me is was newly purchased grey men's windpants, blue StL Cardinals shirt and a blue cardigan. Needless to say, while Charles looked quite fashionable, I did not. It was not one of my better dressed days.

We went to dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory right down the street from our hotel. Aside from discussing (in depth) the process of lethal injection it was your normal dinner. Oh, and the food was very good.

[Hello World, this is CME now. Rachel wants me to talk a little about the here we go] Cardinals - Cubs. It doesn't get much better than that. Except when the Cubs win. That's all I have to say. (N.B.: In fairness, it was a great game that went into the eleventh inning and included what appeared to be a bases-loaded walk-off error in the ninth, which, subsequently, sent the fireworks off and the crowd into a tizzy before the run was rescinded when a Cardinal baserunner was called for any event, it was a great baseball game. But seriously, I don't want to talk about it anymore.) But Charles did love the seats.

(Back to Rachel now) After the game we headed to the arch. We were able to get some pretty cool pics and avoid the cops who were telling people the park had been closed.

And there ends our St Louis weekend. I hope you're not too bored from this post. I promise the next one will be the regular shenanigans you're used to.

No comments: